Everyone loves a good romantic comedy. I mean where else are we supposed to develop our unrealistic and unattainable expectations about love from?!
With a cold front rolling in this weekend, what better way to thaw the cold (and your cynical heart!) than with a cheesy, feel-good rom-com? Cabletv.com recently figured out the most popular romantic comedies by state. They started with a list from Google of the most popular romantic comedies of all time and then cross-referenced it with Google Trends data to determine which movie was the most snuggle-worthy state by state.
Viewers definitely have a thing for the quirky relationships that are standard romantic comedy fare, where happy endings come with a side of adorable. Here at CableTV.com, we’re also totally into laughable love stories, and we wondered if certain parts of the country are more obsessed with some titles than others.
Molly Ringwald's 80's classic, Pretty in Pink seemed to come out on top, with 14 states watching it more than any other rom-com. But what does the DMV seem to pop into the DVD player the most?
D.C.'s favorite rom-com
Bridget Jones's Diary
Maryland's favorite rom-com
Four Weddings and a Funeral
Virginia's favorite rom-com
He's Just Not That Into You
5 other fun facts about rom-com watching patterns
- Everybody likes movies that hail from their hometown: Washington stays up late for Sleepless in Seattle, it’s always 500 Days of Summer in California and Alabama brings it home with Sweet Home Alabama.
- The east coast has a preference for movies from across the pond: Love Actually really is everywhere in Vermont, Maryland is nuts about 4 Weddings and a Funeral and Bridget Jones’s Diary is a bestseller in D.C.
- The Mountain West likes their romance with a side of sassy and snarky: Utah’s got the method for How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, The Princess Bride is Idaho’s fantasy escape and Wyoming can't help but fall in love with 10 Things I Hate About You.
- Maine, which has the oldest median age in the United States, goes old school with It Happened One Night.
- South Dakota, which rates in the top five highest birth rates in the U.S., gets Knocked Up a little more often.