While carrots are widely known to support healthy vision, did you know there are other foods that provide benefits for your eyes? MyEyeDr.’s Vice President of Professional Services Dr. Florian Safner and Clinical Field Director Dr. Tracey Glendenning want to share a quick breakfast recipe that has maximum benefits for your vision. Rich in vitamin C, vitamin E, magnesium and zinc, this creamy orange cherry oatmeal recipe is sure to delight your taste buds while providing essential nutrients to support optimal eye health.
Creamy Orange Cherry Oatmeal
- 1 1/2 cups DHA-fortified milk or soymilk, such as Horizon milk w/ DHA or 8th Continent Complete soymilk
- 2/3 cup dried tart cherries
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 2 tablespoons orange juice concentrate
- 1 tablespoon chopped pecans (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, heat milk/soymilk and cherries on medium high, stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
- When simmering, add oats.
- Reduce heat and simmer uncovered until oats are cooked and liquid is absorbed, approximately 7 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Add OJ concentrate and stir thoroughly.
- Pour into bowls and sprinkle with nuts if desired.
- Maximize the vitamin C content by adding the OJ at the very end, after cooking. This oatmeal is so sweet, you won’t even need sugar!
MyEyeDr. is a network of more than 350 optometry practices east of the Mississippi that offer comprehensive eye care services, a selection of designer and value prescription eyeglasses and sunglasses, and standard and specialty prescription contact lenses. By welcoming all vision insurance plans and providers, MyEyeDr. makes vision health attainable for everyone. For more information, visit www.myeyedr.com.