More than 25,000 people go to their doctor for sports-related eye injuries each year. And while equipping your children with proper eye protection for their sport is crucial, building strong vision from the inside out is just as important. Yep, we’re talking about pre-game nutrition!
Get your head in the game with this tasty turkey burger recipe that’s rich in vitamin B, calcium, and zinc—all of which are essential to optimal eye health. Watch as MyEyeDr.’s Chief Medical Officer Dr. Artis Beatty and Optometrist Dr. Amanda Steele grill up a vision-friendly meal that’s perfect for tailgating!
Serving size: 4
- 1 ½ pounds ground turkey
- 1 shallot, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tablespoon Tabasco Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire
- 2 avocados, halved, seeded, and scooped
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon coriander
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large red onion, cut into thick rings
1. Place turkey into a large bowl with shallots, garlic cloves, Tabasco Sauce, and Worcestershire.
2. Use hands to mix all ingredients evenly.
3. Pat into four equal patties.
4. Place turkey burgers on a medium-hot grill and cook for about six to seven minutes on each side until cooked thoroughly.
5. Place avocados in a bowl with cumin, coriander, and mayonnaise.
6. Use a fork to mash all ingredients together to make a thick sauce.
7. Season with salt and pepper.
8. Set red onion rings on the grill, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and cook until slightly charred and soft.
9. Assemble burger with a patty on the bottom, avocado crema, grilled red onions, and fresh arugula.
MyEyeDr. is a network of optometry practices that offer comprehensive eye care services, a selection of designer and value prescription eyeglasses and sunglasses, and standard and specialty prescription contact lenses. By welcoming all vision insurance plans and providers, MyEyeDr. makes vision health attainable for everyone. For more information, visit www.myeyedr.com.
Stay updated on MyEyeDr.’s newest brands and eyewear collections by following @MyEyeDr on Facebook and Instagram.