The Northern Virginia Community College (NOVA) Workforce and Economic Development Office is offering a free (non-credit) class to furloughed federal employees and contractors during the government shutdown.
NOVA is hoping to provide an opportunity for government workers to learn new skills or enhance preexisting skills free of charge.
“As the largest educational provider in the greater Washington region, NOVA is committed to ensuring our federal and contracting neighbors impacted by this shut-down have the opportunity to invest in themselves by gaining in-demand skills and credentials at no cost,” said Steve Partridge, Vice President Workforce and Economic Development of NOVA.
NOVA's free class offer entails:
- One free (non-credit) class to furloughed federal employees and contractors while the government shutdown continues.
- Available classes in the areas of Business & Management, IT & Computer Skills, and Professional Education are listed online at NOVA Workforce.
- Some of the classes have prerequisites that must be met before registering and may require additional documentation. Please see individual class descriptions for more information.
- Federal employees and contractors must provide proof of employment as a federal employee or as a federal contractor.
- Email your class selection and proof of federal employment to NOVAWorkforceAnswers@nvcc.edu.
Acceptable forms of proof include:
- Valid Federal Employee Badge
- Valid Common Access Card (CAC Cards)
- Valid Government Issued Work ID
- Paystub indicating federal employment/contract
- Letter of verification (from employer stating you work for the government and are affected by the shutdown)
“The region is hurting for skilled workers and furloughed employees need more than a short-term fix. NOVA recognizes this and is offering an innovative program to meet both needs,” said Todd Rowley, Chair Elect, Northern Virginia Chamber of Commerce and Senior Vice President of United Bank.
Employees can choose from select Business & Management, IT & Computer Skills, and Professional Development classes. To view the list of available classes, visit the NOVA Workforce website.