Theaters have a lot of deals happening this month to honor Valentine’s Day as well as celebrate Black History Month. All the shows on this list have some type of discount or special deal. Why not celebrate one of the February holidays by taking that special friend or loved one to see a show?
- Written by William Shakespeare and directed by Gaye Taylor Upchurch
- Running till March 5 at Folger Theater, Washington, D.C.
Rosalind is banished from court and flees to the Forest of Arden, where she discovers Orlando and a world of passion and possibility in one of Shakespeare’s most cherished romantic comedies. When she disguises herself as a man, enchantment abounds and blossoms into an exploration of the beauty and complexities of young love.
- Ladies Night: Friday, February 10, 6 p.m. - Join them before the performance for a special Valentine's Day themed Ladies' Night. $10 with purchase of a ticket to the evening's performance of As You Like It.
- Brews and Banter: Thursday, February 16, 6:30 p.m. - Join the young patrons for a pre-performance discussion with As You Like It cast members. A beer reception with light fare is included. Tickets are $15.
- Written by Tony Kushner and directed by Matthew Gardiner
- Running till February 26 at Round House Theatre, Bethesda, Md.
Set in the heat of the Civil Rights Movement, the Tony-nominated Caroline, Or Change follows a black maid working for a middle-class Jewish family in Louisiana. When a small amount of money goes missing, buried tensions threaten to rip two families—and the struggling Caroline—apart.
- $10 Tuesdays on February 7 and February 14.
- Written by Edward Albee and directed by Aaron Posner
- Running till February 21 at Ford’s Theatre, Washington, D.C.
George and Martha invite Nick and Honey to their home after a faculty party. What awaits their late-night guests is not a welcoming nightcap but tempestuous verbal sparring fueled by alcohol and 20 years of marital dysfunction. Filled with acerbic wit, Albee’s play is both wildly funny and heart-wrenching, exposing the fears and secrets of both couples as the lines between reality and illusion blur.
- Are you a public or private school DC teacher? If so, use the code DCTEACH for a 20 percent discount.
- Written by Hugh Wheeler, Music & Lyrics by Stephen Sondheim and directed by Jason Loewith
- Running till March 5 at Olney Theatre Center, Olney, Md.
DC Legend E. Faye Butler (Arena Stage's Oklahoma! among many others) joins Phantom alumnus David Benoit for the murder musical of the century! After 15 years in exile, the barber Sweeney Todd returns to Victorian London seeking revenge against the evil Judge Turpin who separated him from his wife and child. Falling in league with the twisted and hilarious Mrs. Lovett - a restaurateur with a shortage of protein for her meat pies - Sweeney embarks on a deliciously chilling rampage to right the wrongs of so many years ago.
- $20 Student Rush tickets (one ticket per student ID). Students can either come in person or call the Box Office at 301-924-3400 the day of the performance for updates on availability.
- Written by B.L. Corden and directed by Thomas W. Jones II
- Running till March 12 at MetroStage Theatre, Alexandria, Va.
Grab a seat at the table (a card table that is). Intimately drawn characters and a simple game of gin rummy offer explosive and revelatory life lessons - a card game that escalates the stakes higher and higher with each dealt hand.
- $5 discount on Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday evenings off regular price.
- Written by Jezz Butterworth and directed by Rebecca Holderness
- Running till February 26 at Spooky Action Theater, Washington, D.C.
On a moonless August night, The River brings together a man and his girlfriend who are visiting a remote family cabin where he has come fly-fishing since he was a boy. But she is not the first woman he has brought here. Or the last.
Senior Citizens, 65 years of age and over, will receive $5 off general admission price.