It isn't summer without a new pair of cool shades. Hot brands like Ray-Ban, Costa, Maui Jim, Oakley, and Coach are in high demand these days. Even better, you can now find these brands at your local MyEyeDr. office.
Other popular trends to look out for this season include:
- Prints - from paisley to tortoise patterns, mix it up when you purchase your next pair of sunglasses and go bold with a fun print
- Gold embellishments - look glam in gold frames. The perfect accessory to complement your sun-kissed skin this summer
- Bigger is better - larger frames in fun square or circle shapes cover more of your face and protect eyes from harmful UV rays
Not all eyewear is created equal. It's as much about seeing well as it is looking good. MyEyeDr. has all the information you need to stay safe and stylish this summer. By understanding key dos and don'ts around sunglasses and proper UV protection, you can make informed purchasing decisions and better protect your eyes from harmful UV rays:
- DO check the label for UVA/UVB protection. Despite the health risks of UV exposure, not all sunglasses have quality UV protection. Since UV protection is crucial to shielding eyes from damaging radiation, it is imperative to look for a label, sticker or tag indicating UV protection before purchasing a pair of sunglasses from a reputable provider.
- DO wear sunglasses during all sun exposure. According to the Vision Council, only 68.6 percent of American adult's report wearing sunglasses while driving. It is important to sport the suns during any exposure to natural light, including when casually spending time outdoors, relaxing near a body of water, watching a sporting event or participating in an outdoor activity.
- DON'T rely on dark lenses to properly shield eyes. UV protection has nothing to do with the color of the lens. Wearing sunglasses with dark lenses and inadequate UV protection can actually be worse than wearing no sunglasses at all. Because darker lenses cause the eye's pupil to dilate, eyes are more exposed to unfiltered UV.
- DON'T be fooled by cloud cover. Similar to cloudy days, UV risks exist even in cold weather. The sun is present year-round, which means UV rays are a constant regardless of the temperature. UV rays can't be seen, but their long-term effects are extremely damaging to the eyes. While we celebrate National Sunglasses Day in June, it's important to sport the shades all year round.
Prevent Blindness also has some factors to consider when shopping for the perfect pair of shades. Look for:
- Lenses that reduce glare
- Sunglasses that are comfortable to wear
- Glasses that don't distort colors
- Sunglasses that are safe for outdoor activities, such as sports
For the best protection and recommendations for sunglasses tailored to an individual's lifestyle needs and unique vision, schedule an annual eye exam and ensure you are properly protecting your eyes from the sun.
Follow #ThrowShade on Facebook throughout the month for more tips from MyEyeDr. on protecting your eyes from the sun.
MyEyeDr. is a network of optometry practices that offer comprehensive eye care services, a selection of designer and value prescription eyeglasses and sunglasses, plus standard and specialty prescription contact lenses. By welcoming all vision insurance plans and providers, MyEyeDr. makes vision health attainable for everyone. For more information, visit myeyedr.com.