Carrots usually steal the show when it comes to vision-boosting foods. But who would have guessed that spinach is another huge supporter of eye health? This dark, leafy green is rich in lutein, zeaxanthiun and zinc--all key components in age-related macular degeneration, one of the leading causes of blindness in the U.S.
Here, MyEyeDr.'s Vice President of Professional Services Dr. Florian Safner and Clinical Field Director Dr. Tracey Glendenning share a quick lunch recipe that has maximum benefits for your vision. This Whole Wheat Penne with Spinach and Gorgonzola recipe is sure to delight your taste buds while providing essential nutrients to support optimal eye health.
Whole Wheat Penne with Spinach and Gorgonzola
Serving size: 6
- 10 oz. uncooked whole wheat penne pasta
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 3 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (6-oz.) bag fresh spinach
- 1/3 cup fresh basil, chopped or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2/3 cup crumbled gorgonzola cheese
- 1/3 cup pine nuts (optional)
- Cook pasta according to package directions, without salting water.
- While pasta is cooking, spray a large, non-stick frying pan with cooking spray.
- Heat over medium-high heat.
- Add onions, then stir and cook until slightly transparent, approximately 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, stir and cook for another minute.
- Add broth and let simmer for 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, toss, and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add spinach and basil, cook and stir for approximately 2 minutes, or until leaves wilt.
- Remove from heat and add salt/pepper to taste.
- Drain pasta and add to spinach mixture.
- Thoroughly toss.
- Serve on a platter and top with gorgonzola and pine nuts.
Visit MyEyeDr.com. Eye care and eye wear. They're better together at MyEyeDr, Doctors of Optometry.
MyEyeDr. is a network of more than 350 optometry practices east of the Mississippi that offer comprehensive eye care services, a selection of designer and value prescription eyeglasses and sunglasses, and standard and specialty prescription contact lenses. By welcoming all vision insurance plans and providers, MyEyeDr. makes vision health attainable for everyone. For more information, visit www.myeyedr.com.