The weather may be cooling off, but that doesn't mean it's not still ice cream season, because honestly, isn't it always ice cream season?? This fall, scoop lovers have a new reason to celebrate: Jeni Britton Bauer, the James Beard Award-winning cookbook author, has opened her first ever east coast location of Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams right here in D.C.! Operating in eight cities with 31 stores, Jeni brought her 32nd location to 14th Street NW.
“This is a monumental opening for us, and we couldn’t be more excited to be doing it in our nation’s capital,” said Bauer. “Anyone who visits and eats their way through D.C. today experiences the passion driving every chef, artisan, and maker in the city, and we’re so excited to join that culinary energy.”
This is the first location with two levels, and it stands at 3,000 square feet on the ground floor retail space of Elysium 14.
And for all you free food lovers, listen up: To celebrate the grand opening, Jeni is inviting the community in for free scoops from 7 p.m. to 11 p.m. on Thursday, October 5!
Jeni launched three new fall flavors on September 8, that are available in the D.C. shop.
- Middle West Whiskey & Pecans: The Columbus, Ohio, micro-distillery’s OYO whiskey are made with 100% soft red winter wheat grown in Ohio. (Oyo—“Oh-WHY-Oh”—is the American Indian name for the Ohio Valley.) Middle West’s oak barrel-aged whiskey is the one-of-a-kind spirit churned into its namesake ice cream. You will taste notes of butterscotch, honey, coconut, and vanilla while the salty toasted pecans add the perfect amount of crunch
- Pistachio & Honey: Ground roasted pistachios, honey, cream, and grass-grazed milk create a pure pistachio flavor with a savory, salted-nut finish.
- Churro: Introduced as part of the 2015 Holiday Collection, this cinnamon-infused ice cream speckled with bits of toffee and pastry has been selling out faster than Jeni can make it.
Currently, the menu includes:
- Sweet Cream Biscuits & Peach Jam
- Sweet Potato with Torched Marshmallows
- Orange Blossom Buttermilk Frozen Yogurt
- Peach Lassi Buttermilk Frozen Yogurt
- Intelligentsia Black Cat Espresso
- Pumpkin 5-Spice
- Queen City Cayenne
- Roasted Strawberry Buttermilk
- Cookies in Cream
- Brambleberry Sorbet
- Brambleberry Crisp
- Bangkok Peanut
- Gooey Butter Cake
- Brown Butter Almond Brittle
- Darkest Chocolate
- Goat Cheese with Red Cherries
- Green Mint Chip
- Lemon Buttermilk Frozen Yogurt
- Middle West Whiskey & Pecans
- Milkiest Chocolate
- Ndali Estate Vanilla
- Pink Grapefruit Buttermilk Frozen Yogurt
- Pistachio & Honey
- Riesling Poached Pear Sorbet
- Salted Peanut Butter with Chocolate Flecks
- Salty Caramel
- Wildberry Lavender
- Juniper & Lemon Curd
- Ultramarine Blue Buttermilk Frozen Yogurt
- Roxbury Road
- Lemon & Blueberries Buttermilk Frozen Yogurt
- Mocha Black Cherry
- Sweet Cream
Jeni's Splendi Ice Creams, 1925 14th St. NW, open daily noon to 11 p.m., pints are $12, scoops are $5.50