I don't know about you, but to me there is nothing that screams comfort food more than a big creamy bowl of pasta, which is why I constantly find myself frequenting Italian restaurants. We've previously shared with you our top 5 favorites in the city, and as much as I would love to make a visit to Sfoglina, Centrolina or Osteria Morini every week, it's not the most budget-friendly option. But, when I learned that Chef Fabio Trabocchi's downtown osteria, Casa Luca, was launching a new Sunday Supper program that would get me four courses and two glasses of wine for under $50, I was pumped!
Starting December 3, guests can visit Casa Luca every Sunday evening to celebrate Nonna Palmina Night, named for Chef Trabocchi's grandmother. The new promotion is very much in line with the mission of Casa Luca to showcase Italian cooking inspired by Trabocchis’ own family traditions. The four-course meal (three savory courses, one dessert course and two glasses of wine) is served family-style and comes to $42 excluding tax and gratuity.
Nonna Palmina Night honors the memory of a grandmother’s love expressed through cooking that brings together family and friends. Share the spirit of a traditional Italian Sunday family meal at Casa Luca.
- First Course: Caesar Salad (each diner gets an individual serving)
- Second Course: Gnocchi alla Parmigiana in a Sage Butter Sauce (each diner gets an individual serving)
- Third Course: Slow-Cooked Wagyu Beef Short Ribs with Anson Mills Polenta and Maple Roasted Squash (the short ribs are brought out on a large wooden board with the polenta “spianatora” style, to share)
- Fourth Course: Tiramisu (served to share)
- Each diner gets two glasses of Super Tuscan wine
In a similar vein, Fiola, the Trabocchis' Michelin-starred flagship restaurant, also hosts a "Sunday Family Table" dinner, offering a four-course (Colors of the Garden, Pappardelle, a whole Roasted Heritage Chicken, and Tiramisu) family-style meal for two, plus a bottle of wine, for $95. You can read about other ways to experience D.C.'s most luxurious restaurants for less here.
Casa Luca, 1099 New York Ave. NW, every Sunday from 5 p.m.- 9 p.m. starting Dec. 3