Prepare yourselves, Washingtonians: tomorrow evening thousands of white-clad revelers will be spotted all over the metro and downtown D.C. as they make their way to the secret location of Diner en Blanc, an evening that is 1 part elaborate picnic, 1 part fashion show, 1 part Martha Stewart-inspired tablescapes and 1 part late night dance party!
As always, the secret location of DEBDC will not be revealed to participants ahead of time. They'll pack their own picnics, don all white ensembles and schlep their all-white tablescapes (everything from the table itself to chairs, plates, glasses and table decor must be white) to meeting points sent out the morning of the event. They will then be led about the city by their group leaders until they reach the secret destination and begin to set up their spots. Everyone will dine merrily, and then at dusk every guest will be given a sparkler to light and after everyone stands and gives a united sparkler toast (gotta get it for the 'gram, really) the dancing commences.
Now if you are attending tomorrow evening and somehow missed the all-white attire memo, never fear-- DC Refined is here (yikes, we are really tapping into our cornball side today)! Keep reading for five style tips on assembling the perfect Diner en Blanc ensemble from SCOUT bags founder and personal stylist, Deb Waterman Johns. Then hop right into our photo gallery for 24 chic items sure to dazzle the crowds that can all be found locally in a pinch. From dresses to shoes, bags and baubles, we've got you covered.
- Layer sheer and textured whites to create illusion and dimension.
- Consider adding a shoe or accessory with shine or jewels to punctuate your head-to-toe whites.
- Think about unexpected "white mixes" like lace with leather, or tulle with stretch knits to create contemporary silhouettes.
- White ensembles can be romantic or edgy depending on styling -- model your look around a fun theme from disco to Midsummer Nights Dream.
- One pop of color can add drama to your all-white look. Black, hot pink or metallic touches will offer a bit of fun.
Happy picnicking my friends!