Where in the DMV can you find an Olympic regulation-sized pool, eight squash courts, seven golf simulators, two NHL regulation-sized ice rinks, a spa, a 6,000-square-foot indoor water park, a market cafe and fitness apparel boutique all under one roof? Well, come September 2018 the answer will be at The St. James in Fairfax, VA.
At an official groundbreaking ceremony yesterday, CEOs Kendrick Ashton and Craig Dixon -- both native Washingtonians -- announced that they would be opening the doors of their 450,000-square-foot flagship complex in just one year. The 20-acre campus sits just off the "concrete jungle" where 95, 395 and 495 intersect. In attendance to christen the project was inaugural member Alex Ovechkin of the Washington Capitals.
“Our aim is to be the center of the universe for active people and sports and wellness enthusiasts of all ages,” said Ashton. “Whether it’s a 5-year-old being introduced to the joys of sports, a 15-year-old pushing to make varsity or a 45-year-old striving to improve her performance in each stage of a triathlon, we want to provide every tool necessary for everyone to go as far as their talents and desires will take them, and enjoy themselves while doing it.”
The complex will be open 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and memberships sales officially kicked off yesterday.
Check out all the offerings below, and scroll through the renderings in our photo gallery for a first peek at what the facility will offer next fall.
- Field House with a FIFA regulation-sized turf field -- the only such field in the region -- and 65-foot roof clearances for all turf sports
- Ice House with two NHL regulation-sized ice rinks for all ice sports and a hockey skills training center that includes both rapid shot and rapid hands skills training systems and a skating treadmill
- Court House with four full length regulation basketball courts that convert into nine volleyball courts
- Pool House with a 50-meter Olympic regulation-sized competition pool for all water sports
- Hitting House with six batting cages and pitching machines for baseball and softball that converts into a multipurpose training venue
- Squash and Golf Center with eight international regulation-sized squash singles courts and seven golf simulators
- High Performance Center with 10,000 square feet of elite strength, explosiveness and agility conditioning and training equipment housed within the 50,000-square foot premium health club
- Gymnastics Training Center with a competition spring floor, deep foam training pits, Tumbl Trak, rod floors and in-ground trampolines
- Climbing and Bouldering with three stories and 3,000 square feet of climbing experiences
- Health Club with 50,000 square feet of state-of-the-art cardio and strength training equipment, spinning, group fitness and yoga rooms, a 10,000-square foot high-performance training center, premium locker rooms and childcare for member families
- Spa and Rejuvenation Center with nine well-appointed treatment rooms for massage, facial and other skin treatments, a cryotherapy chamber, a manicure and pedicure studio and a rejuvenation lounge
- Health and Sports Medicine Center featuring a best-in-class health care partner providing general non-emergent health care services, sports medicine, sports performance and rehabilitation
- Active Entertainment Center with 20,000 square feet of dynamic obstacle courses, zip lines, climbing structures and climbing walls, trampoline zones, virtual reality, a gaming theatre and party rooms
- Indoor Water Park with 6,000 square feet of exciting slides, massive water dumping buckets, long distance sprayers and other water-based play features
- Restaurant and Market Café conceived in collaboration with a celebrity chef and delivering healthy and delicious cuisine
- Performance Boutique featuring a sneaker boutique, performance-oriented apparel, technology, equipment and The St. James branded apparel