The beauty of at-home workouts are that they can be accomplished with little to no equipment. Sometimes you just need to get a little creative! Today's workout is focused on a simple piece of equipment, the glider. Better yet, if you don't have a glider you can sub in a hand towel and get the same impact you'd get from a glider.
Gliders (or towels) add dimension and focus to traditional workout moves. By adding a glider to your workout, you'll have to work extra hard to keep good balance and will bring a new challenge to your at-home routine. Today's workout is lower body focused and all you need are two hand towels and a hardwood or tile floor to do your workout on.
About the Workout:
You'll start with an equipment-free warm up to get the body moving. The warm up moves will prepare your body for the extra challenge that you'll face when you bring the towels in. Here's a breakdown on how to do each move in the main workout:
- Lateral Lunges: Start standing with your feet hip width apart and your body weight shifted on your left leg. Step the ball of your right foot onto the towel. Keep your right leg straight as you slide it out to the side, sliding the towel along the floor, while bending your left knee to a 90-degree bend and sitting back as you do a lateral lunge. Press your left heel into the ground as your straighten your left leg and bring yourself back up to standing and your right foot will meet your left where it started.
- Reverse Lunges: Start standing with your feet hip width apart and your body weight shifted onto your left leg. Step your right foot onto the towel and lower into a lunge position with your right leg sliding behind you. Aim to get your left leg bent to a 90-degree angle, then press your weight into your left heel as you come to standing and slide your right leg back to starting position.
- Mountain Climbers: Start in a plank position with a towel under each foot. Maintain your plank position with shoulders directly over your wrists and bring your right knee in towards your chest (sliding your foot/the towel along the floor). Press the right leg straight, then pull in the left leg. Continue alternating legs. Keep your core engaged through the movement.
- Plank to Pikes: Start in a plank position with a towel under each foot. Maintain a strong plank position with shoulders directly over your wrists and raise your hips up to the sky as you slide your feet towards your hands. Slowly slide your legs back to their starting position so you find yourself back in a plank.
- Alt Single Leg Hamstring Curls: Lie on your back with knees bent and your feet each on a towel, feet flat to the ground. Raise your hips so you are in a bridge position, squeeze the glutes. Slide the right foot (and towel) straight out as far as you can while keeping the hips lifted. The left foot/leg does not move. Pull your right heel back towards starting position and then do the same thing with the left side, alternating each rep.
If you can't make it to the gym or don't have ample equipment on hand, remember that household items can double as fitness equipment if you think outside the box.